girl named moe

Monday, May 08, 2006

Started looking for a kitty, but found a car....

This weekend we let Allie know we are going to get a kitty. We started looking to adopt, but not a lot available but adult cats that Allie didn't really connect to, as she has her heart set on a kitten. So, we didn't end up with a kitty this weekend as we had hoped. Allison was quite crabby then sad, then resigned, then hopeful. (the stages of not having instant gratification of kitty desire?)

J. has finally relented about the cat after saying no for many years. He made it clear said kitty will belong to me and Allison. Of course, we are very excited about this! Can't wait until we find the perfect kitty.

However, we didn't plan on going car shopping, but we did. J's previous car, known as "Wagon of Doom" was a 1992 Ford wagon, which he bought for 4k about 4 years ago....let's just say, it's been a real piece of crap. It has had numerous alignment and electrical problems in the last 2 years. In the last few weeks its been crapping out again. The estimates were about $1,200 to fix- considering that, J. decided it was time to find something else.

In typical J. fashion, he went to one dealership, found the car that he wanted, told the sales guys what he wanted to pay and proceeded to eat a cheeseburger in their lounge as they did that back and forth to the sales manager thing with papers. This type of transaction makes me extremely uptight and worried. Not J. - no big deal....While J. and the sales guy were doing the wrangling and writing out numbers and such, I felt myself get really tense. I used Allie as the convienient cop-out. Since she is always hungry, I said, "Gee, I'm sure Allie is hungry, we might just run over to the Burgerville...."

That's when J. asked for his burger and I said, "Where will you eat it?"

"Here"

"Honey, your in someone's office, negotiating a car deal..."

"So, what are they going to do? Throw me out when I'm trying buy one of their cars?"

Mercifully released from the car sales office, Allie and I took our own sweet time at the Burgerville. J. was almost done with his deal when we showed up. Of course, J. wanted something in trade for Wagon of Doom. Looking at the car from the outside the sales guy was saying about $600 (yes, it did look that crappy) but before the contract was signed the sales guy wanted to start it up, to which, J. cheeseburger in hand muttered under his breath "shit..."

The sales guy tried to start it but there was only a wheezing, chugging sound then a few snaps and a burning smell. Wagon of Doom's death rattle. Wagon of Doom, sensing its days of service to us were finally at an end died right there at the dealership. J. ended up getting $200 for Wagon of Doom's carcass.

The deal done, cheeseburger consumed, J. hopped into his sweet new ride. '98 Subaru Legacy wagon, all wheel drive, leather interiors, and electric everything- and get this, including seat warmers!

Today I drove by the same dealership on the way to work, and waved to Wagon of Doom as I drove past, still in repose in the same parking spot.

3 Comments:

  • So, the Wagon of Doom couldn't have started one last time, eh? Guess we should be happy that it did get him to the dealership. I loved my little Subaru sedan and would get another in a heartbeat. Seat warmers are astoundingly lovely, I'm ashamed to say.

    By Blogger Diana, At 5:14 AM  

  • Trust me, cats are much better than kittens. Remember "Thing 1 and Thing 2" from the Cat in the Hat? Kittens are that kind of bad. Everything is a toy and everything must be play with and/or eaten. One of the girls used to bring me little shiny things like earrings. The other spent a day playing in the wall. You know that since J. has vetoed the cat, the cat will love J. over all others.

    Gail

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:01 PM  

  • I love that J ate a cheeseburger at the dealership. That's showing them. I hope he dripped special BV sauce over the sculptured carpet as well.

    I also hope that it was a Ron Tonkin dealership. Ol' Ron is on my shit list!

    By Blogger Rozanne, At 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home