I like Ike

Maybe because Bush is so bad, every Republican is looking so much better in retrospect, but with President Eisenhower, I don't think that's the case. He obviously was a good man, who gave a lot to his country, plus he was the lead guy in kicking Hitler's ass, so he is one of the central positive figures in 20th century American history. Eisenhower as President did some things I disagree with, but on the whole a decent guy.
I did last night, though, come to see another positive attribute of the many Eisenhower possessed. His ability to see the forces of the future. His 1961 farewell address proved particularily prescient. It was Ike who coined the phrase "Military Industrial complex" and as a very interesting documentary, "Why We Fight" spelled out, pretty much what Ike warned against has come to pass. Using Ike's farewell address as a centerpiece, the documentary shows how American foreign policy has evolved since the early '60s. The documentarians used the larger picture of major foreign policy events and interwove personal stories, interviews with participants in major historical events, and a "regular citizen" who lost a son on 9/11. Like many casual observers of current events he thought that the Iraq war was connected to 9/11- when he discovers otherwise his anger and rage is almost palpable....his story is fascinating, sad, and ultimately telling about where we are today.
You don't have to have a lot of history knowledge to get the film, everything is pretty well spelled out. The last part of the film focuses quite a bit on Iraq, and while not being shrill and overtly partisan lays out the case that the WMD argument was trumped up, and the conflating of 9/11 and Iraq was an intentional deception by the Bush Administration. You will see the footage of Donald Rumsfeld yucking it up with Saddam Hussein in some ornate drawing room when we sold the Saddam weapons back in the 70s and 80s. Plus, a whole lot of people in the know will confirm what many people are finally beginning to see.
Other participants include Eisenhower's descendants who talk about their Dad's frame of mind. His son John's resemblence to his father is so striking its almost as if Ike himself is speaking (aside: John Eisenhower also wrote a really great book about Americans in World War I called "Yanks" if you're interested in that kind of thing, I recommend it) John reads from a speech where Ike talks about how many schools could be build, how we could house the homeless, end poverty if some of the money used for the military were used on crazy stuff like schools, increasing opportunity, etc. One should not leave with the impression that Eisenhower was some sort of crazy peacenik utopian. That he was not- he was a serious Cold Warrior - he wanted America to meet and beat the challenge of Communism and that meant being militarily prepared. But, I think too, as someone who saw two major wars close up and saw death and destruction that war brings- knew that peace was better, and attaining peace was a goal worth strving for.
What I appreciated about Eisenhower, and what I appreciate about many of the great Presidents throughout history is their serious devotion to ideals of America and their hard work and real dedication to them with humility. Eisenhower was a serious man, but yet he came across with humility and said that the honor was his to serve his country. If anyone had earned the right to be arrogant, had evidence that the country should be honored that he served it was Eisenhower! I find this in complete contrast to our current President, whom I regard as an unserious, arrogant person who has no right to be arrogant...what has he done? Wandered around in a drunken stupor until age 40 when he grabbed Daddy's rolodex and decided to go into politics? His service to his country? Oh, I'm sorry I fail to be impressed by his spirited defense of Houston, Texas against the VietCong at the height of the Vietnam War. That he weasled into the Texas Air National Guard because Daddy greased the skids...I'm sorry I don't think there is anything impressive about a man who has had everything handed to him since day one because he was born into wealth and privledge...and I'm most sorry of all that this pampered, preening frat boy is now running our country, sending not so privledged kids off to fight and die in this war. (gee, I haven't written a Bush screed in a long while. Feels good.)
Anyway, rent the documentary if you get the chance- called "Why We Fight"- especially recommend it to friends who are Bush supporters or friends who aren't engaged in current events.
I wonder what Ike would think if he wandered into the 2004 Republican National Convention...he probably wouldn't recognize his Grand Old Party....with his ideas, he would probably be ejected from the building.
4 Comments:
Give'em hell Stacy! Oops! Wrong president but right idea!
By
Anonymous, At
8:30 PM
Excellent post!
"What I appreciated about Eisenhower, and what I appreciate about many of the great Presidents throughout history is their serious devotion to ideals of America and their hard work and real dedication to them with humility."
Yeah, whatever happened to that? The last president with any dedication and humility was Jimmy Carter.
By
Rozanne, At
9:28 PM
And yet, so many voted for Bush. I still can't get past that. That, and that a 'little blue dress' and a blow job got so much attention a few years ago, yet all the myriad of down right lies and atrocities that have been committed by this administration seem not to make many sit up and scream, let alone pay attention or at least vote for the other guy.
By
Diana, At
5:48 AM
Well written and thought-provoking!
I'm going to look for that documentary.
By
Coffee-Drinking Woman, At
10:03 AM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home