girl named moe

Monday, March 12, 2007

Don't wanna pack...

These are the days I wish that the technology of teleportation had been perfected. That way I could teleport our stuff to the new place with out this packing. Dragging all the stuff out and putting in boxes, schelpping to the new place and taking them out of the boxes (or not, I just finished the storage room, I swear there were boxes that hadn't been open since we moved here four years ago)

There were a few neat finds in the storage room though- Allie's baby books and thousands of baby pictures. Too insanely cute. She was (still is) very adorable. Plus the cook book that was a gift to my great grandma on her wedding day - it was the White House Cookbook. There is a picture of Mrs. Taft on the inside cover. This book was published in 1913. My Great Grandparents were married in 1914. There are portraits of First Ladies proceeding Mrs. Taft throughout the book. It has thousands of recipes and helpful hints from the White House household staff- for instance- to keep oil from going rancid, put a few drops of ether in the container. This book also contains personal grooming tips, such as this cure for pimples: "One teaspoonful of carbolic acid and one pint of rose water mixed is an excellent remedy for pimples."

Hmmm...I don't have any ether or carbolic acid lying around or I might be tempted to try these old school methods. It makes me wonder if these were common household items back then. Would I be grousing about packing up my ether, carbolic acid and rose water?

Hmmm, well fascinating distraction, but I guess it's time to get back to packing up my 409 and Clorox clean wipes....

4 Comments:

  • Yep that was a fascinating distraction. Good luck with the move and hang in there.

    By Blogger karmic, At 5:15 AM  

  • How I hate to pack. Oh, how I hate to pack. I would especially hate to pack ether. Wouldn't want that to accidently spill...

    By Blogger Diana, At 9:03 AM  

  • Carbolic acid? That's phenol... you probably DO have it around - in some product or another.

    I hate packing, too. Tedious, thankless job it is. But oh, so satisfying when it's finished...

    By Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman, At 7:30 PM  

  • I think carbolic acid did used to be something that every household would have. It's a powerful disinfectant, I do believe. I don't think you'd want to be putting it on your face.

    By Blogger Rozanne, At 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home